Friday, September 30, 2016

Some Things Just Stick in Your Mind

A short update, but one I wanted to jot down for posterity.  ;)
So, I wanted to expand playtesting by converting the game I'm currently running, to the new one I'm developing.  Sure, it's nowhere near finished and rules aren't streamlined, but hey, gotta start somewhere.  In the midst of converting player characters, I accidentally discovered the mechanic for wound recovery.  This then segued into powers/magic, and finally into some special properties of gear.

Pretty amazing what a simple exercise can accomplish.

I've also come up with a target number mechanic that fits in very nicely with the core mechanic.  It works well with on-the-fly challenges, and is adjustable to represent varying levels of difficulty.
I'm looking forward to testing it out, and seeing how well it performs at the table.

In the meantime, I'm writing down everything that I can, no matter how trivial.  What's really odd is that I'm internalizing the brainstorming process; I have a broad idea, and when I go to make a note, I already have a solid concept.  I'm trying to pace myself right now, because I don't want to burn out before I get started.  I'm familiar with the creation process of RPGs - from concept to completion - and it's a marathon, not a sprint.  Still, I want to strike while the iron is hot, and develop as much as I can.

That's all I have for now, hopefully I'll have a more cohesive update this weekend.  Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment