Wednesday, September 7, 2016

September 7th, 2016
I recently declared my intentions here about developing an RPG.  As promised, I've created this very sparse blog to record the day-to-day, ho-hum activities that are involved with developing this project.  So what have I done so far?
Well, I've developed a preliminary game mechanic for starters.  It utilizes D6 pools, but in a unique sort of way.  I've run a few trials with it, and so far, so good.  I really need to get my hands on a simulator that can be adjusted to specific parameters, and run it through a couple hundred times for results.
The core mechanic came together pretty quick, and all of the other bits and bobs have followed suit.  I'm shooting for simplistic, with room to modify as needed.  Character creation will include rule options for race creation, as well as archetypes. All in all, it's coming together quite nicely.
One thing that may strike people as odd is the fact that I'm developing system mechanics first, and setting after.  I do have experience with developing both game mechanics, and setting (check it out) previously, with emphasis on setting.  This time around, I wanted to focus on game mechanics first; I'm hoping that it develops into its own thing, but I don't want to get ahead of myself.
Douglas Cole was nice enough to share his own dealings with game development, and I've found the information very valuable.  I do need to look into an LLC, just for the sake of sanity alone.  There's also the question of registering a system mechanic, which I have very little experience with.
I have a long road ahead of me, but I'm looking forward to the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment