Monday, April 2, 2018

Around and Around

There was a lot of traffic regarding my last post about incorporating playing cards as a game mechanic.  I didn't think it would have generated that much interest, so I was a bit surprised when I saw this.  It's definitely a mechanic I'll continue to dabble with here and there when I have time, and there's even a setting that would fit in very nicely to accommodate the unique system.

Other than that, I've been doing more system work and writing for the setting.  The setting is post-apocalypse science fantasy, set roughly 100 years after a planetary disaster.  Magic has been wiped out, but traces of it can be found here and there.  Survivors have started rebuilding, and search for forgotten technology.  Humans, robots, and a couple of new species are the norm for the game, along with swords and the occasional sidearm.  I plan on giving some more details about the setting in upcoming posts, so be on the lookout!

Regarding mechanics, I've been toying around with the idea of further simplifying the dice pool.  Here's the proposal:
Pools of d6, where the numbers have the following values -
1-3 Hit
4 Null
5-6 Block

When attacking, your objective is to score Hits, and when defending, you want Blocks.  Blocks remove Hits in opposed rolls, and leftover Hits are added to a weapon's damage rating to determine any damage.  As of right now, I included more Hits than Blocks to speed up combat; less chance of stalemates and/or no damage.  Damage can be reduced by wearing armor, so it won't necessarily be "deadly".  I figured that I would simplify the rolls for success, while allowing more creative range with weapons and armor.

I'm looking to play test this new mechanic with my group soon, but as always, finding the time is key.  Once I've seen how it works in play, I can determine if it's worth making it a permanent change, or to remove it altogether.  As usual, sound off and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment