Friday, September 22, 2017

Time Waits for No One

I love Autumn.  There's a crispness in the air that feels energetic to me.  I can't really comment on the change of colors, because where I live, it's not as glorious.  Everything turns brown, and that's about it.  Still, something about Autumn invigorates me.

Now that we have that brief interlude out of the way, what else have I been up to?

I've been reviewing my rules for Vehicles, and how they are incorporated into the rules.  I wanted to avoid too much complexity, so I decided to treat vehicles like characters; same abilities, similar skills, and same dice pools.  The same amount of build points can be used to build a vehicle, but the scale would be different.
Speaking of scale, I came up with a simple mechanic to differentiate between vehicle scale and damage/armor.  Vehicles range is size from Small, Medium, Large, and Gigantic.  As an example, a Small Vehicle would be a motorcycle, or a car; a Large Vehicle would be a space cruiser, or a battleship.  A Vehicle that is a size larger than an opposing Vehicle will double the amount of damage and armor; this doubling occurs with each size category.
As an example, a single manned fighter(Small) faces off against a space cruiser (Large).  The space cruiser's damage and armor are x4 against the smaller craft.
Although this may seem like a nearly impossible task to damage a larger vessel (it should!), a pilot's skill and weapon loadout can make a difference.  There are also some game mechanics that can swing in a character's favor, but more on that at a later time.  ;)

Another consideration was Vehicle Movement.  How fast does a motorcycle go?  What's the move difference between an F-14 and the Space Shuttle?  How does movement of a Vehicle translate to Character Movement?

I took a page out of FATE, and decided not to go into finite detail.  Movement and Range is broken down in increments; Close, Short, Medium, and Long.  Instead of wracking my brain trying to come up with an algorithm that best divides range into different scales, I deferred to a less time-consuming alternative.  Movement occurs at the speed of plot.  A character shouldn't move as fast as a Corvette, unless the setting allows for such incredible feats.  Chases can be resolved with a skill roll and appropriate modifiers.  I'm a big fan of keeping it simple, with the option for more depth.

That's it for now.  Please comment below, and let me know what you think!  I'm also open to any questions you may have, so feel free to ask away.


No comments:

Post a Comment