Wednesday, May 10, 2017

High and Dry

Hi there.

It's been a while since I've posted; sorry about that.  I could go on a long tear about work, life, and whatnot, but I'm sure you'd be bored to tears.  The short of it is, I've been busy and totally neglected this poor little blog.  I'm hoping to rectify that over the next few weeks, with more updates and activity.

Even though I haven't been active here, I have been doing a lot of developing and playtesting.  After receiving some feedback, I've made some changes to the mechanic in an effort to streamline gameplay.  It's yielded positive results thus far, and players seem pretty happy with the change.
Another theme I've been revisiting is the emphasis on dice.  The mechanic uses six-sided dice, but not target numbers, per se.  Numeric value of each side has a different meaning, and each die has a purpose.  You're always doing something, even if you fail at a task.

While we're on this subject, let's talk about the core mechanic.  First and foremost, everything is represented as dice (or more accurately, d6).  Whatever number you have in an Ability, Skill, or Health is the number of d6 you have in said trait.  The same goes for task difficulty; picking a lock would be represented as a 5 die difficulty.  While this may seem similar to a target number, the action and resolution is very different.  The player's dice roll not only determines success, but how the dice effect the target difficulty as well.

Confused yet?  Don't worry, more on the core mechanic later on.  Hopefully this piques your interest, even if just a little.  I'll post some more details next week, maybe even a sample encounter.  Until then, thanks for checking in, and I'll be more diligent with staying up to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment